Today I am writing on financial advice after quite a long time. I have written multiple times earlier also about how asset allocation is important to buffer you against shocks in one asset class. Especially when you look at it, when you are in a debt instrument like a Fixed Deposit or Term Deposit with a bank then the amount promised (or interest rate promised) is almost guaranteed.
On the other hand prices of stocks and commodities keep going in cycles and real estate also moves in cycles. As they move in cycles they also have a tendency to go down multiple tens of percentages during down markets. On the other hand they also spike up multiple tens of percentages and can over many years give a massive inflation adjusted return.
But keeping your portfolio balanced between different types of assets is critical because being concentrated in one asset class can totally destroy your wealth.
Today however I will talk about why it’s important to concentrate your allocation within an asset class.
As Garrett Gunderson says, being diversified means lack of knowledge / conviction. If you are not confident of the items within an asset class on which you are confident of growth then its better to invest in ETFs or mutual funds for that asset class. These are designed to generally be diversified so that the individual risk is avoided an average return can be delivered. These are however also at risk of market fluctuation.
On the other hand if you see when the news reports talk about a market being at a high or low, they always talk of a certain “bucket” of stocks. Which means it is the average of all the stocks in that bucket.The Nifty or Sensex or the S&P 500 are all examples of buckets in different markets . These buckets are also called index.
As in any average there are things which are way above the average number as well as way below. If you have invested in the stocks which are way above the average, then you can make returns which could even be more than 10 times the index over a period of time.
However the amount your portfolio can grow is determined by the quantity of these “peaking” stocks that you have in your portfolio. If these are only say 1% of your portfolio then even the growth of the 1% by leaps and bounds will not be helpful if the remaining 99% is not growing. If you want to get compounding to work for you, to help you create abundance, then the stocks that you have should be the ones that have the ability to grow faster
I learnt this lesson when I was reading the Motilal Oswal Wealth Creation studies and its a critical aspect for your investing, of you are doing it on your own. If you don’t have the conviction or heart to do this kind of work to build your portfolio then its better that you focus on mutual funds and / or ETFs.
Till next time then.