I have been analyzing my daily routine. On a weekly basis if we were to just take 40 hours of work, then after a month of monitoring my daily activities I have realized that
1. I spend more than 30% of my time in peer to peer meetings and unscheduled internal calls
2. I spend another 30-35% of my time in emails
3. I spend about 15% in reviews / feedback sessions with my team .
4. About 5-7% is spent on meeting customers to understand what is happening at their end or to give presentations or to get feedback ….this is one of my Unique Abilities and I love interacting with customers.
5. I spend less than 10% on actual marketing activities like conceptualizing marketing messages, strategies etc.
The last item I am able to achieve with the focused thinking time that I keep writing about.
The other day I was listening to the Ultimate Entrepreneur podcast by Jay Abraham. He had a guest by the name of Dr. Alan Barnard who is a practitioner of Goldiratt’s Theory of Constraints.
In this podcast towards the end they speak about a new offering they’re bringing to the market which shows entrepreneurs how they can convert their existing top line into the bottom line in less than 4 years.
That’s what got me thinking. I have been talking so much about 80/20, prioritizing, small hinges move big doors etc. in my blogs. To actually be able to convert the top line that I get for the company into the bottom line I will need to focus sharper and sharper on the 80/20 of the 80/20 of the items which actually get me business. Items where I have high impact and where presently I am spending less than 15% of my time.
I am on the experiment to see how I can convert the amount of my present top line to become my bottom line in next few years. Will keep you posted.
Till next time then.